The City of Festivals
Tayabas is a City of Festivals in the Philippines because of its numerous numbers of celebration and colorful festival. Tayabas a visited-town due to its wonderful festivals and it continually draws large of crowd since it started.
Festivals / Celebration
- Taytsinoy Festival - As part of Chinese New Year the City of Tayabas celebrated its Taytsinoy Festival last February 2–5, which served as a connecting bridge between the Chinese and Tayabense people. The festivity also aimed to heal discrimination between the Tayabenses and Chinese folks.Tayabenses commemorated the event to impart themselves with the tradition and belief of Chinese society. Aligned with this were some Chinese activities being adopted by Tayabenses and contests like Chinese Garter Contest, Kiamoy Eating Contest, Chopstikan ng Pancit Habhab, Binibining Taytsinoy, and a lot more. The highlight of the event was the Dragon and Chinese Presentation in Parke Rizal and Pagdalaw ng Leon at ng Dragon at Tayabas Poblacion wherein all people undeniably enjoyed, especially the children.The four days celebration embodying numerous events greatly gave bunch of fun to all Tayabenses and guests. Ultimate learning, awareness of the Chinese culture and tradition, and endless merriment were being brought out by the municipality.
- Turumba Festival -(Holy Week ) -celebration in honor of the Nuestra Senora de Turumba. Tayabense dance as a thanksgiving to the virgin mary in the main thoroughfares of Tayabas. Thousands of devotees from Quezon visits the Nuestra Senora de Dolorosa Church.
- Mayohan sa Tayabas - A stellar attraction during the month of May. A grand, colorful and folsky Parada ang Baliskog welcomes a guest to Mayohan Festival. "kog" means arc, a welcome arc. The more the imaginative decked it with local flowers and palay. Yearly, 66 barangays, government and non-government organizations, art groups join the parade. A display of baliskog made indigenous materials like coco leaf, coco husk, bamboo poles, buli, rattan, dried flowers and tistis filled the streets of Tayabas and joyously welcome visitors and the summer season.Mayohan Festival ranks as major festival in the region. It continually draws large number of crowd since it started in 1989.
- Hagisan ng Suman (Mayohan Festival) - Suman is the ritual gift of Hagisan. Hagisan is an opportunity for the Tayabasin to share their prosperity. Bundles of suman are gaily tied in a bamboo called bagakay, exhibited and installed at households along the procession route. As soon as the image of San Isidro passes by the bagakay must be emptied of its colourful array of abundance, which aside from suman, includes banana, mango, buko, pineapple and other local farm produce. In most houses, suman and other farm produce are no longer tied in bagakay, they simply throw them with passion and great enthusiasm from their decks, balconies, or windows to the multitudes of peasants and workers. Hagisan means throwing or sharing away.
- Pa'yas kay san Isidro (Mayohan Festival) -"Pa’yas kay San Isidro" is visual delight. All houses along Felimon Perez Street in the four barangays of Muntingbayan District are decked with indigenous materials and fresh farm produce. Viewing is every May 13 to 15.
- Aguyod Festival - Ang pagdiriwang ng Aguyod Festival ay Hindi lamang naglalayong linangin ang kakayahan ng mga Tayabasin sa larangang ng sining kagaya ng pagsayaw, pag-arte at pagrampa sa entablado, manapa’y nilalayon din ng pagdiriwang na maipamulat sa mga Tayabasin ang kahalagahan ng pangangalaga sa kalikasan at sa kanilang kapaligiran sa pamamagitan ng wastong "waste manangement"at mabigyan ng pansin ang pagpapaunlad ng lokal na turismo kaalinsabay ng pagpapasigla ng negosyo ng mga lokal na mamumuhunan.
- Hermano Pule A.K.A. Apolinario Dela Cruz - A commemoration of the martyrdom of Apolinario dela Cruz (Ka Puli). A native of Lucban who organized and led the Cofradia de San Jose, a confraternity which resisted the Spanish rule from 1832 until the time of his death in 1841.Puli was shot by firing squad on November 4, 1841 outside the vicinity of Casa de Comunidad in Tayabas. His body was cut up into pieces and his head put in a cage, stuck into a pole, and placed in front of his mother's house.The event aims at gaining respect and national recognition to the heroic deed of Apolinario dela Cruz or Hermano Puli.
- Araw ng Tayabas (August 13) - Designated as the day for commemorating heroism of Tayabasins. The event calls for unity, strengthens social bonding and encourages Tayabasins to renew commitment to service.
- Feast of San Miguel Arkangel - (September 29)- Celebration of the fiesta.
- Festejo de los Angeles -(Sept.22-29 ) -celebration of the Town Fiesta. It is where people wearing an Angel suit parades all over the main thoroughfares of the city.