Ernida Agpi Reynoso Tayabas City, Mayor
Welcome to the very noble city in Southern Tagalog,Tayabas City!
Latest LGU Tayabas UpdatesVIEW ALL -
05 December 2017 by Aegan , in Latest News
Christmas Blood LettingBLOOD LETTINGRead More +
06 November 2017 by Aegan , in Latest News
PESO Tayabas at TESDA Special Training for Employment Program (STEP)PESO TAYABAS AT TESDA SPECIAL TRAINING FOR EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM (STEP)Read More +
18 October 2017 by ictweb, in Latest News
Tayabas Run Against RabiesTAYABAS RUN AGAINST RABIESRead More +
Places of Interest
Tayabas is rich in history as it was the capital of Tayabas Province (Now in Quezon) during Spanish era. There are so many old structure and stone bridges that you can visit. Aside from the historical places, its also a place where you can enjoy the outdoor activities and nature. There are falls, caves, river, and hills/mountains to discover.
- Minor Basilica of Saint Michael Archangel is considered one of the oldest and biggest church in the Philippines
- The Minor Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel is a Roman Catholic basilica located in Tayabas, Quezon.
- It is the largest Catholic church in the Province of Quezon.It is renowned for having the shape of a key. Locals often refer to the church as Susi ng Tayabas.On October 18, 1988 the title Minor Basilica was conferred by Pope John Paul II. It was proclaimed on January 21, 1989.
- It is considered to be one of the most beautiful churches in the Philippines.
- Casa Comunidad de Tayabas is the biggest "Bahay na Bato" ever restored by the National Historical Institute
- Constructed in 1831 when Don Diego Enriquez was gobernadorcillo, it is primarily designed as a guesthouse for visiting Spanish dignitaries. According to Buzeta and Brazo, Tayabas in 1851 had a Casa de Comunidad where the prison was located. The Tribunal seems to have been located in the Casa as well. In 1887, Juan Alvarez Guerra, a Spanish official, says that "beyond dispute, it is one of the best in the Philippines...
- It has spacious halls, magnificent decor, and ornate furniture". He adds that at one corner of the Tribunal was the telegraph station. Unfortunately, shortly after his book was written, a horrific fire consumed the building as well as others in the city. Alfred Marache locates the fire at around 1882 - 1883. During the American period, the reconstructed building became a public school.Thus from being the center of the local judicial system, it became the center of the community's intellectual life. It was destroyed once more in the bombing of 1945. In the 2000s, Casa de Comunidad was reconstructed by the National Historical Institute.
- Casa de Comunidad is a national historical landmark which houses the local museum and the municipal library. It is host to many cultural and historical activities. This century old building, is the place where Apolinario "Hermano Pule" Dela Cruz was tried and sentenced to death in 1841.
- Malagonlong Bridge is considered as a National Cultural Treasure and other 10 bridges in Tayabas
- A declared historical site by the National Historical Institute and a potential candidate for UNESCO World Heritage, Malogonlong Bridge is one of the oldest and longest stone arched bridges found in province of Quezon. It is a 136 metres (446 ft) long bridge built between the years 1840 and 1850 under the direction of the "Ministro del Pueblo," Fray Antonio Mattheos, a Franciscan priest.
- It was the longest bridge ever made during the Spanish colonial era with approximately 100,000 adobe blocks used.
- Nuestra Señora de Angustias
- One of the oldest church in Tayabas. The chapel was built in 1838. In 1887, the chapel was described as having a small cloister, a modest presbytery and a sacristy to the right side of the presbytery. The walls had four windows of capiz and glass. In March 1945, the chapel was destroyed due to American bombings and only the walls remained.
- However, the walls served as a guide to its eventual restoration.
- Santuario de las Almas
- Built in 1855, the church was called "Cementerio de los Españoles" during the Spanish period.
- A former cemetery and now a place for devotees of San Diego de Alcala.
- Camposanto de los Indios
- The cemetery was built in 1887. Today it is called "kamposanto". The cemetery has a gate composed of two stone column that carry a grill sign.
- The grills have two designs: 10 A rising sun symbolizing hope and thus a new life; 2) "O muerte, que amarga es tu memoria" (O Death, how bitter is your memory), and "Bienventurados los muertos que mueren en el Señor" (Blessed are the deceased who die in the Lord).
- Calle Budin
- Kalye Budin is actually a short portion of Emilio Jacinto Street, a few blocks away from the public market, where local and foreign tourists drop by just to grab freshly-baked budins (sold at PHP 28/USD 0.64/IDR 5,714 per cake) and other delicacies the town and the province are known for.
- Nilupak (pound cassava cake), halayang ube (sweet purple yam/taro), ube candy, pastillas (milk candy), espasol (sticky rice snack) and tikoy (the local version of the Chinese sticky rice cake) can also be found there.
- Lucban longganisa (sausage), pansit Lucban (noodles), puto seko (rice cookies) and the potent but liked lambanog (coconut wine/vodka), uraro (arrowroot cookies from Catanauan) and apas (thin sweet cookies from Sariaya), as well as mazapan (another kind of milk candy), cassava chips, fish crackers and meringue are also sold.